Friday, June 13, 2008

My Calling


Does anyone else love being a mom? Until I met Christ, I never really wanted to have kids. I grew up as an only child and wasn't really around little kids and I never babysat much. It wasn't until God revealed to me what my true calling was that I truly embraced my role as a mommy. As Audra can tell you, when I was eight months pregnant with my first son, Isaac, I didn't even know what a "onesie" was! That's how clueless about children I was right up until I had Isaac. Motherhood was such an overwhelming and all consuming change from the life I was used to. I never realized what it meant to give your life for another person's well being until I had a child. Everything inside of you screams to want to be selfish and take care of your needs, but stronger than that is this longing in your spirit to BE the mama, the teacher, the cuddler, the trainer, the role model, the playmate, to defend and take of and instruct and pray for and engage with your little disciples! It is so sanctifying to give your all for your children, for the purpose God has for them and for you and ultimately, for His glory. Praise God that I was able to embrace that vision all those years ago when I was young and immature and didn't really understand what life was about. If I hadn't followed Jesus's voice down the path He was leading me, I would have missed the greatest blessings in my life: Isaac, Ezra and Shiloh Maia!

No comments: